Let’s begin with discussing the star of the recipe: the meatballs! These delicious hunks of meat are compromised of beef and sausage with a few delicious additions cooked right in. Yes, even zucchini is part of this fantastic mixture! It’s a great way to sneak in a few veggies without the kiddos (or meat-eating adults!) finding out!
Once the meatballs are created, simply smother them in the perfectly blended sauce. The sauce is a sugar-free tomato sauce which is perfect for individuals who are watching their sugar intake. The final step is to pop it in the oven for about thirty minutes. Be sure to drain the excess liquid and allow it to set up for about fifteen minutes before serving.
That’s it! Who knew it would be so simple to make such a yummy meal? Add this to your weekday menu, and you’ll never settle for a bland and boring casserole ever again. This is just another recipe that proves that keto can be absolutely delicious!
Cheesy Meatball Casserole Recipe
Macros Per Serving:
- 515 Calories
- 38g of Fat
- 39g of Protein
- 2.5g of Net Carbs
- Servings 8
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 45 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean)
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (pressed to remove moisture)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup sugar-free tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the ground beef, ground sausage, mozzarella, parmesan, zucchini, egg, and seasonings in a large bowl and mix well by hand.
- Shape the mixture into 24 meatballs and arrange them in the casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and top with the shredded provolone cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes then drain the cooking liquid.
- Let the casserole bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned.